Thursday 2 July 2009

On kids

I've never wanted children.

Apparently that makes me weird, because I am a woman and you are supposed to desire children if you are a women.

All I know is that I don't want children and never have. I don't wish them harm but I simply don't like them, not interested, don't want to know, don't find them cute, etc.

I used to think that for most people children were just something that happened out of poor planning and one just went along with the process thereafter. But, it seems that people do actually go out of their way to have them. People actually plan them!

For some reason today the issue of having kids has really irked me. Its probably a conversation I had with a colleague this morning who was gushing over her life's dream to find suitable husband material and have kids as quickly as possible. Actually, what irks me is that yet again I feel like an alien, don't fit in, cant relate, um sorry nothing to say except I've never wanted them, that's putting it politely.

I want to be free, I want to spend long summers wandering around Europe, maybe join the hippies in Ibiza playing the drums as the sun goes down with beads in my hair (I'm going there in September BTW), no I don't want kids thank you very much.

Am I being quite forceful in my opinion? Well perhaps its just something I feel quite strongly about, its all part of the same thing, when will people consider that there are other ways of living one's life rather than wage slavery and breeding?


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hear ya! I am a school teacher and enjoy children - however do not want the burden of raising them. People associate me not wanting to have my own with disliking children and can occasionally be frightened at the fact that I am a teacher... that shows how messed up THEY are! Retiring at 40 (latest) sounds so much better than beginning an 18-year debt at the age of 30 to me! It is so ingrained in the minds of people that you get married, buy a house, start a family that you stick out if you opt to do something different. Hopefully more people like us will realize breeding is not necessary and it will mildly help the extreme overpopulation issues we face. Your not weird - you are noble in not giving into the pressure from society! Have fun with in Spain!

The Executioner said...

Most people who have chosen to have children (which are the majority) cannot imagine their lives without children. I've had conversations with co-workers who are surprised that I don't have children. "Oh well, you're young," they'll say. As if the children are inevitable. However, I have found a small but content minority of couples who have chosen not to have children (for a variety of reasons) and are very happy with their lives. It's your life -- live it the way you see fit.

AutumnRose said...

There is absolutely, positively NOTHING wrong with you! Not every woman on the planet aspires to be a mother....my daughter has made the same choice, and I support her 100 per cent. Some peoples' hearts are called in other directions, and they shouldn't have to justify that to anyone :-)

Frances said...

One of my really close friends doesn't want kids - unfortunately her husband does...bit of a problem there, which sounds like you don't have. I'm not sure what I think about the kids thing right now. Not yet, that's for sure, too much fun to be had.

Just came across your blog and really love it. I'll look forward to reading as your escape gets closer. I say go for it, follow your dreams and be happy.

Dreamer said...

Thank you for your comments - I am sorry that I am so late in acknowledging them, but I do read them all and it is comforting to know that I am not alone in my choices.

moneymonk said...

At least you're honest, some women have kids and have others to raise them