Saturday 21 March 2009

A new plan

Lately I've been thinking a lot about how life is too short to be stuck at work for most of my waking hours. The thing that keeps my nose to the grind is probably lack of money and FEAR. Fear of the unknown, fear of poverty etc.

Work is all consuming. I'm too exhausted after work and at the weekends to have time to do anything for me. Sometimes we come up with the energy to go hiking, if we can manage the 40 minute drive out of the city (one way).

DH and I have been discussing a new escape plan. We think that we might be able to manage another 2 years in our present field. Thereafter we plan to take a long sabbatical. Perhaps for six months or so. DH would have to resign to do this. I really cant see his employer granting him an extended leave of absence. We want to take the time and space to re-evaluate exactly what it is we want. During that time, we may put the apartment on the market as it will be easier to show if we are not there all the time.

We think that we want to downsize to a semi rural area. Since they wont let us in the US or Canada we have been looking at North Devon as an alternative. We are hoping that by that time the economy might have improved and we might get a decent return off our savings again. We are also thinking about ways that we can work for ourselves or do some part time work.

City living has lost its appeal for me. I want something closer to nature and something more real. I want to connect with something. Most of the time I feel like I live in a concrete jungle. But I'm also scared that I will be isolated in somewhere like North Devon. But the thing is that I feel isolated here most of the time. But that's the strange thing with living in a city, there are people everywhere but none to connect with.

4 comments:

Jerry Critter said...

Isolation is often more a state of mind than a location -- as you are learning.

Jack said...

I agree with Jerry. I used to live in NYC and you would think that with all those people around how could anyone possibly be alone. But it is one of the loneliest places on earth if you let yourself feel alone.

Jack

Anonymous said...

Maybe you should consider a non-British city. I gave up London and moved to LA where I have the best of both worlds - city living within easy reach of beach, mountains, desert, canyons, and some of the most beautiful places on earth.

Dreamer said...

Jerry and Jack true that.

Esther - I would dearly love to escape Britain to the US but unfortunately immigration is a huge problem, there are no visa options. I see you married an American. I did propose once to Jack above but he didnt bite LOL.